Why your brand should use digital storytelling
In the wake of a Social Media assertion as a key communication platform, we have seen a relatively new marketing communications strategy come to light—digital storytelling. Storytelling is an effective corporate communication brand strategy and tactic.
Digital storytelling describes a practice where people use digital tools to tell their story, often in a compelling and emotional way. It can encompass: web-based stories, interactive stories, film-making, advertising, and promotion efforts.
While on the visual side of things it includes images, videos, infographics, and charts.
Digital storytelling has implemented itself into businesses with the development of marketing in the digital world. It has become a strength in content marketing because brands have found it necessary to include visual content in their marketing agenda. Forbes said that digital storytelling comes from your audience; it is the power they give you, and the reason they want to engage and listen to your brand story or message.
- There are opportunities missed all the time by marketers to appeal to the emotions of an audience, because some marketers are too focused on excelling at promotions.
- Digital storytelling works because it fills the consumer with emotions and gives us a compelling reason to act or think differently about a brand.
Done right, digital storytelling will allow you to connect with your audience on an emotional level, but ultimately can get your brand noticed. The key is to create a story that is captivating and memorable.
Create long lasting stories—not the disposable kind—stories of real people doing amazing things day in and day out.
- More importantly creating a compelling story that is dispersed on your social channels for maximum impact, this is done by creating a cross-channel marketing campaign.
- Sometimes it is ok to take a step back as a marketer and realize that some of the most intriguing stories are not indefinable, but rather definable.
We are all hardwired for storytelling. We all have stories to tell, and experiences to share; we are full of emotions, it is part of who we are as humans. Take those emotions and run with them as marketers. Take a step back, listen, and use the power that digital story telling has to offer, and connect with consumers on a deeper level.
We naturally respond better to visual information rather than text. Use images for more captivating content— show don't tell. Consumers want brands to make their content feel like a story.
- According to Forbes, by 2017, video content will represent 74% of all internet traffic.
When brands choose storytelling, they are playing on society’s common ground which can be profitable. Our brains crave storytelling; what will your story be?